The outer portion or Crown of a tooth is a three-layered structure namely – Enamel, Dentin & Pulp.
If the tooth decay is limited to the first two layers, it can be corrected with Filling/ Restoration. In case the tooth decay reaches the third layer and causes inflammation or infection of the pulp, an RCT or Endodontic Treatment is needed.
Root Canal Treatment also is known as Endodontic Treatment is a procedure done when the tooth decay reaches the pulp (innermost layer of the tooth) causing inflammation.
It is necessary to save the damaged tooth from extraction. This procedure is done by an Endodontist who is known as a Root Canal Specialist. The procedure involves:
- Removal of inflamed or infected tooth material
- Cleaning and disinfection
- Filling and sealing with an inert material
- Restoration and crown/cap
- Do not put pressure on the tooth. Since there is no crown, the tooth is unprotected as a result, putting pressure can cause damage to the tooth.
- Avoid hard and crunchy food, instead chew soft food until final restoration
- Be careful while brushing. Do not be too harsh while brushing
- Get a dental crown as soon as possible as this will protect your tooth from further damage
- Visit your dentist if you face any complexities or severe pain